Monday 15 August 2011

Born to teach?

I was drifting off after another hard day watching Jeremy Kyle and 60 Minute Makeover when a  programme came on about student drs. They were at a university hospital, one which I had been to when a student doctor sent me to the Oncologist after misdiagnosing my tonsillitis. Well, the student drs in this series tended to be the children of drs. This made me think ... do most teachers have parents who are teachers? Was I destined to be a teacher even before I was a glint in my dad’s eye? My mum was a teacher and my granddad did some form of teaching. Which also made me think – Oh no!! I’m turning into my mum...a future of bad hairstyles (helmet hair) and being bossy (bless her xx)... I didn’t really know about any other careers apart from; Drs (too much studying involved), nurses (don’t like blood), secretaries (tried it for a bit) or engineering (nasty experience with the Physics syllabus)...so teaching it had to be. It happened unconsciously. After thorough researching, i.e chatting to my teacher friends, I found out many teachers have teacher parents; or parents in education but many don’t too, so that was an end to my theory. But there is definitely more likelihood...

So I am now researching another theory: Are teachers’ kids ever cool? My old photos are evidence that this teacher definitely was not cool but luckily nobody recognises me. Who is the strange looking boy? That would be me but I’m making up for it now!

Have all teachers’ kids had the same experiences? Walk into any classroom and you will be able to guess which ones are the kids of teachers - just look for the joker with a pudding bowl hair cut. A past of shit hairstyles, jigsaws, educational holidays, awful clothes, participating in every extra-curricular activity going- ever single night – tuition, brownies, hockey club, violin lessons, scrabble club...One thing teachers’ kids tend to be is funny, well, you have to be to compensate for being so uncool. BUT guess what? You really appreciate it as adult and I’m a secret scrabble fiend on the sly. I love it. Nowadays I just tend to play it in my high heels rather than in my brown lace ups and lopsided NHS glasses.
xx

1 comment:

  1. Have to say that neither of my parents are teachers. I think I was born to teach. Don't know why, but it started young, possibly because I admired my teachers and wanted to be like them, even from primary school days back in England. Of course there have been some shockers, the disgusting methodology of whom I've tried to avoid. Teaching's had its blessings. The classroom has mostly been a good experience. However, can't tell you how relieved I am that neither of my kids has followed in my footsteps. I can take the abuse for myself, but I'd hate to think of them experiencing it. Cheers. Fraudster

    ReplyDelete