Monday 28 November 2011

Philosophical Questions

So I haven’t written for a bit. I’ve been having the teaching wobblies. Then I realised I had PMT. PMT and teaching don’t mix very well. In fact, it its one of the worst combinations ever. When I’m having the wobblies, I realise it is just that time of the month when I go insane and everything upsets me. I had a parent ring up complaining saying, ‘you said don’t you dare speak to me like that to my child.’ I knew I’d been grumpy with my PMT but with the PMT I start to doubt myself...I was thinking I was out of order...but then I realised I was completely within my rights to say that.
So I’ve been on a ‘Philosophy for children’ course today. Great stuff and very enjoyable!!! I recommend it! I actually learnt more for myself than to actually teach it but I’ve got another session tomorrow. I realised I’m always stressing myself out to get the kids the best grades; and I normally succeed with this but at the end of the day the philosophy and PSHE may have a much greater positive impact on their lives; and on mine! As I will teach relaxing thoughtful lessons rather than cramming as much in as possible and stressing myself out. Imagine the kids coming up with questions such as; ‘why do we always want what we don’t have?’...’why do we REALLY want to give rather than receive?’...’what is right or wrong?’...’what makes a good Christmas?’...’Why is family considered important?’...’what is happiness?’...there’s something very satisfying about discussing these philosophical questions even when the answer can seem quite negative...’Does everyone have the same philosophical questions?’...what philosophical questions do you have? xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hm, my only philosophical question is why you are so hard on yourself? Even if the kids ask you something you can't answer- which is doubtful- that's OK, you don't have to have all the answers. Everytime.

    I think it's OK for kids to learn that.

    My English classes are occasionally horrified if I'm not sure how to spell something. Naturally this is very rare. But I find it quite amusing that they think I should be able to spell every word in the dictionary. .. sometimes I have to go and check. Apparently that's not on!

    I shall think about my philosophical questions and see if I can come up with any deeper ones. . .
    Stella x

    ReplyDelete