Tuesday 25 October 2011

Rough as an ol' badger's arse

So I haven’t written for a while. Things have been going far too well! I’m glad I don’t have the dramas of my old job; it was such nonsense! So it’s half term, I had a fantastic observation, which I kinda knew would happen but at the same time it is habit for me to worry for weeks beforehand, and finally I have been on a week’s residential with the kids – great fun! I was rough as an ol’ badger’s arse afterwards tho.  Nights of being woken up by whispering children outside my door plotting to run away – ever the concerned teacher, I rolled over and fell back fast asleep. Our last day was the most exciting for the kids – a disco!!!  AND shopping for gifts and souvenirs! We let them loose around the shops; and once we rounded them up again, I asked to see what they had bought , expecting postcards, keyrings or magnets – They bought plastic dog turds.
Anyway, the rumour is the new OFSTED guidelines are all about making children independent learners – I’m not sure what they learnt from independently buying plastic dog turds but I learnt that it was much more fun for me to go and get a cuppa than try and stop them buying them. 20 years ago I had the excitement of buying a plastic dog turd myself. Independent learning: sounds good to me! Sounds about time too! Something which will actually make a difference! We need to change this culture of young, dumb and living off mum and get ourselves outta the credit crunch. After years of working my ass to the bone to have resources so that no kid could possibly fail, this was music to my ears.  So we let the kids be independent on our residential trip and one had a play fight and broke his leg. Sleepless teachers’ nights at the hospital and we returned him home (after his parents couldn’t be arsed to pick him up) to....guess what? ;-p
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Please explain to me how you manage to sleep when on school camp? I never ever manage to do that. I have my fingers crossed that my very part-time status this term (2 days a week) means I don't have to do any over night sleepovers at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team games, playing on the beach, orienteering, fresh air (rather than the usual fart filled classroom air, knowing I didn't have to do proper lessons the next day...this all helped with my sleep xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but with all that and stuff like high ropes course and flying fox and hikes etc and I still don't sleep. (Sorry about the delay in reading and responding for a while there. . . I've been pathetic about all things blogging.)

    ReplyDelete