Sunday 9 October 2011

Observation Panic!

So it’s now the period of observations – the time teachers love most. Calm, professional, able teachers suddenly become panicking, nervous wrecks looking for anybody they could possibly blame if they don’t pull off a good one. Our head is incredibly supportive yet this is scary shit!  But do observations mean anything? Do they really reflect how good a teacher you are? And how useful are they really? They are perhaps, the biggest factor affecting stress and teachers’ emotional wellbeing. I’ve had every grading: Unsatisfactory, Satisfactory, Good and Outstanding. At the same time, it is important to monitor the quality of learning although it could be done in a different way. Ofsted have changed the guidelines. It’s more about the overall big picture, which suits me and makes more sense. It’s no longer based on putting on a good show. Life is on hold until the observation. But it’s all worth it for the intense elation you feel afterwards. Right now, I am anti-observations. If I pull off a good one this week, we know my view will change.xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we don't have this here in Oz. The only time you have someone observing you is when you are a student teacher and go into someone else's class. Good luck.
    What I would love is to be able to visit other teachers' classes and see their teaching style, and how they deal with discipline etc. I think now even as an experienced teacher it'd be great to be able to learn from my colleagues this way.
    Hope observations go/ are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd like to do that too! I think it would be much better for the profession. It is always talked about here in the UK but doesn't happen a lot. I've taught year groups/ subjects which I have never ever seen being taught - unless you count when I was a kid xx

    ReplyDelete