Wednesday 30 March 2011

Parental Impact and Money Matters

I’m watching that super scrimping programme. I love programmes like this; they always end up integrated into my teaching somehow the next day. It’s very interesting that the average household has £8K debt yet landfill is getting greater. Are we really just throwing that money away? I was teaching the 5 year olds money matters today. It was interesting too. We talked about if we found some money what we would do with it. Nobody suggested saving or investing it. When asked what to do if we don’t have any money, I expected the answer- ‘get a job.’ The answers were ‘get a loan’, ‘nick some off your big brother’ or ‘borrow some off your mum.’ Fun and games!
We also had Parents Evening today. I find this to be one of the elements, which has the most impact on the children’s learning. I spread myself between 30 kids so my teaching and time is only 1/30. If I tell the parents what the children need to learn they can do it 1:1 and make a quick impact. Studies very clearly show that parents have an enormous impact on a child’s education. I remember it was my mum who taught me to read well before I started school. I remember finding school work very easy and got grade As in English and Maths without feeling like I had worked for them. I can flog myself away in the classroom for a year but a 10 minute conversation with a parent can make such a difference. I also show the parents how to read with their children and how to make homework and learning spellings fun as many parents suffer pain, tantrum and tears with these at home and it needn’t be that way.
laters
Miss Phitt x

2 comments:

  1. If only parents would realize that! I have parents who expect me to be able to work miracles and discipline their child and teach them to spell etc in the less than 3 hours a week that I see them. . . on a 1 to 28 basis.
    And here in Oz the media is always saying that schools should be teaching kids other things as well as the usual. THey're always wanting to add stuff to the curriculum to the point where I wonder what exactly are the parents meant to do? At some point they have to stop being friends to their kids, give them some boundaries and actually Parent!\Josie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parents can expect a lot. I sometimes invite them in. When they have sat in my class for an afternoon, they realise how it is. Some even come and help out.
    Oz sounds the same as here. I've read blogs by American teachers too, which sound quite similar. I normally teach the kids what I think they need to know. Everything doesn't fit in the time table.
    Some parents think they are being a bad parent if they say no to their child. Children are very clever in manipulating their parents this way. x

    ReplyDelete