Sunday 27 March 2011

Sunday Funday or Sunday Blues?

I am sooo glad 1/4 of a million people turned up to protest in London:-))))) I acknowledge the lot of them! We need people like them. So what's this about the government increasing spending on firing missiles costing £500K a time and then cutting the pay of nurses, teachers and police? The nurses, teachers and police will soon be firing one of those missiles right up the government's ass!!
I’ve just been on facebook and the statuses are suggesting there are some severe cases of Sunday Blues around. I used to be a sufferer of the Sunday blues but now I have lovely, relaxed, fun and rose coloured Sundays without a hint of blue. I have gone through several stages and have come out the other end on a high.
Sunday blues sometimes occur when there is a feeling of not being prepared or of a bad Monday. There's no point feeling blue because a Monday has never been known to kill anybody! You don't know it's going to be bad. In fact they never tend to be as bad as you think they will be.
When I began teaching, I combatted Sunday Blues by working into the early hours of the morning to ensure I was prepared. This is not a workable or a recommended strategy. It produced good results in the short term but in the long term it produced one grumpy, moody, pissed off and knackered teacher with not such good results.
Nowadays I have a different approach to Sundays and the blues are no more. As well as enjoying my Sundays, I enjoy my evenings too. Here are some tips if you are a sufferer:
1) Organise something fun to do on a Sunday rather than sitting at home thinking about what horrors might happen the next day. If you are thinking you have too much to do and can't go out; this is a misconception. Staying in will result in lots of thinking and not much doing. If you have a fun day you will probably find you do all your work too.
2)Get your things ready Friday before leaving work. Prioritise and give yourself a cut off point. If you haven't got it ALL done, acknowledge yourself for what you have done and don't worry about what you haven't done. Worrying doesn't make it happen.
3) If you constantly have the Sunday blues consider you are over planning and over preparing or are maybe spending your time doing work which doesn't make much of a difference to the teaching and learning in your classroom.
4) Don't blame the boss, the job or other people for your Sunday Blues. If they have asked you to do something you don't have the time available for, request an extension or apologise and say when you can get it in for.
5) Are you trying to be perfect? Give this up. It doesn't have to be perfect.
6) Scared you're going to get in trouble? Give this up too. You might get in trouble whatever you do and you might not do. Don't try and avoid getting into trouble to keep somebody else happy. Do what you feel is the right thing to do. 
7) Make your work load workable. Giving up family, friends and boyfriends is not workable and will also make your work suffer. Some nights you may need to work late but plan in breaks and relaxation periods. This way you get more work done.
Sad your weekend is over and has gone too quickly??? Well there's always next weekend.
Laters
Miss Phitt xxx

2 comments:

  1. Good advice. I used to go salsa dancing on a Sunday night; it was great! And not too late a night. Only trouble with that was I could hardly sleep after that as all night there was Latin music running loudly through my brain.
    Josie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I bloody love you Miss Phitt.

    ReplyDelete